Saturday, March 10, 2012

Buried in a flower pot

Yesterday I was able to track down a nearly impossible to find dress for a woman. She was ecstatic to say the least, hugged me and would've kissed me if I had allowed it. She explained that she was going to be wearing it her parent's 60th wedding anniversary and how happy she was that despite their bad health they made it this far... I thought she was going to stop there, but she continued to go into great detail about the event. (Her parent's grew up in Mexico, the reception color is red, they're having 348 guests instead of 350 because Uncle Juan and his wife got in a fight etc....)
[It's important to note, that her English wasn't exactly English.]
Woman "Hava you beens to da flowers, ah down, cheap place?"
Me "If you mean the flower district in downtown Los Angeles, yes, you can buy flowers there for pennies."
Woman "You knows whats else you get theres real cheap?
Me "No, what?"
Woman "Umm...ehh dos dings ehh those contains for keeping dead people."
Me (currently mortified and oddly smiling) "You mean an urn?"
Woman "Ahh yes yes! So cheap I bought two"

My conclusion: I can't help but believe this poor woman stumbled across a bunch of elaborately decorated pots and mistook them for urns. I couldn't allow her unknowing parents to end up in planters one day so I responded, "Are you sure they weren't flower pots?" She gave me a look like I was the crazy one and walked away.

Oh, the people I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment