Sunday, April 7, 2013

Beach City EATS

In my opinion everything is better by the sea....

 "By the sea, By the sea, by the beautiful sea!
You and me, you and me, oh how happy we'll be!"

 I appreciate a good meal so much that on any given day I'll drive an hour to Orange County, scoop up some friends and drive another 30 minutes to Laguna Beach. My man loves all things penguins and my friend Christa is somewhere in the realm of obsessed. When we caught wind of a 40 year old joint called the Penguin Cafe it took zero convincing to give it a try. On Friday morning I ditched my diet and fully indulged in an all carb breakfast. Do you see that whip cream snow cap on my pancakes? I was in heaven. The restaurant was super small and covered with penguin figurines, pictures, paintings, and stuffed animals that they've acquired over the years. It is definitely worth checking out and only a few feet from a set of stairs that takes you right onto the beach.
Recently Matt and I began religiously watching and rewatching Man VS. Food. Not that I'll be visiting middle America anything soon but I'm now fully educated on where to find the best BBQ, milkshakes and donuts the size of my head. We love watching episodes where the restaurants are in Southern California and the food we fall for is obtainable. On Saturday my friend Vanessa took the two of us on a getaway to San Diego and we couldn't pass the opportunity to eat at Lucha Libre. It is a small gourmet taco shop with Pepto Bismol pink walls covered in Luchador pictures and masks. They love Luchadors so much that they give discounts if you order while wearing a traditional mask.

What I ordered and the contents:

Tap Me Out Taco: Chicken, french fries, grilled veggies, cheese, poblano sauce, and sliced avocado.
Veggie Taco: Black beans, panela cheese, grilled zuchini, mushrooms, corn, and poblano sauce.

Hungry? Ya, I thought so.
Life is too short to eat boring food!

4 comments:

  1. Your weekend sounds great! That food looks delisioso!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I love Man VS Food. And I love food. Good for you for treating yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally - you should enjoy every meal and make those calories worth it!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally do the same thing! I've actually driven five hours just to have Chinese food by my old college.

    You enjoy your meals!

    ReplyDelete