Sunday, December 14, 2014

It's Cool To Cry


Last night I laughed to the point of hyperventilation, and sincerely cried and reflected on some of the most influential moments in my life. My dear friend hosted a last minute wine night where she introduced “40 Important Questions to Ask Your BFF” by Zooey Deschanel. I find the actress to be endearing but never joined her band of worshipers. Admittedly, when the game was announced and I refilled my glass and prepared for some extreme cheesiness. Boy, do I stand corrected….

For starters, I believe in investing in people and life long friendships. Last night I was in company of a girl I met during 2nd grade Catechism classes, one from a third grade softball team, another from junior high, and several others I met freshmen year at Knott’s Berry Farm. (True story: theme parks are magical – I happen to know a certain 18 month old owes her existence to her parents meeting 12 years ago at one.) It is wild how those girls, along with a few others who weren’t able to be present, have helped shape my wonderful life. Perhaps I don’t say it enough, but I am incredibly thankful to all of you.

Back to the game, upon arrival each of us filled out a 40-part questionnaire, which spanned from such topics of the legitimacy of aliens and ghosts to times we regret, passions, and most prized possessions. We laughed over some of more humorous answers and cried over the ones that evoked memories of parent’s divorcing, missed chances, and the memory of a friend who would have been present.

            I am sharing all of this because too often we are “too busy” or “too tired” for the people who care the most about us. So take off your sweat pants, turn off Netflix, and ask someone who matters to dinner.

Lastly, here are some of the questions and my answers.

8. Have you ever considered running for President? No, and good for all of you.

9. If you could choose one thing you are most passionate about, what would it be and why? My marriage. Life is full of enough lackluster and mediocre components. I will always fight to ensure my love isn’t one of them. I fell in love with my husband almost immediately and harder than I was prepared for. I will always fight for us.

12. Are ghosts real? Yes, Boo. (Pause) Oh my gosh, I love Casper! “Kat, Can I keep you?”… It was really hard for us to stay on topic!

15. Are your feet the same size? Yes

16. What is saddest song you’ve ever heard? Skinny Love, by Bon Iver.

21. 100 cats or 3 baby sloths? 100 meows but all hypoallergenic breeds please. I love cats every much but I am also extremely allergic.

34. What is the most prized material possession you have and why? My middle name comes from my great grandmother Jane and my grandmother gave me a gold bracelet of hers as well as a piece of her luggage at a very young age. I remember immediately understanding their value and have safeguarded them for over 15 years. I felt privileged to wear that bracelet in my engagement pictures.

35. What is your most important memory? I have two. First, in elementary school I was sitting at the kitchen table and my mom walked in while on the phone with the school secretary explaining that her children were too sick to go to school. Once she hung up she announced we were going to Disneyland. Second, I’ve always been an insomniac and my dad use to allow me lay on his back while he watched his late night westerns and boxing movies. Consequently, I grew up wanting to be a boxer and even picked Jessie James as my ring name. The point is that I’ll never dream of saying “I want to give my children what I didn’t have” because my parents always made my siblings and I a priority.

Thanks for stopping by and to Blogger for not deleting my account due to inactivity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment